Sunday, May 6, 2012

Screen Free Week

Our first annual screen free week was a raving success! We took the time to smell the roses, but not much time to take pictures of us doing it, which was a nice break too. Here are some highlights of the week and ways we stayed busy without screens:

We spent an evening at Slippery Rock.



This worked out perfectly - I ran there in 30 min. and Kyle drove there with Sora. We were so smart and remembered extra clothes and a towel this time. However, it was Kyle, not Sora, who accidentally fell in, bringing our activities to a close.

We went to Green Bay for our weekly swim lesson and t-ball class. While there, we also went out to lunch at our favorite coffee shop (a big treat), and did a lot of shopping.


We played at home with some special toys. Sora got a new ukelele, which I gave to her during Walker's nap time. This is typically when I have relied on TV time for Sora the most, so it helped that we only watched him once this week, and that Sora got a new toy (and special food treat) to keep her occupied so that her interruptions were at a minimum.
Here she is discovering static electricity. There was a lot of thunder storms this week, so I tried explaining lightning to a 3 year old. Currently her favorite question is "Why is it raining?". Kyle and I try to give conscience scientific answers, but not sure how accurate they are, or how understandable they are to a 3 year old.

We spent a day rummaging (garage sailing for you Washingtonians). There is a big annual sale with over 140 places involved in one town! We went last year, and this year Sora got her own money ($3) and we chose what to by together. I spent $3 on this plastic kitchen to keep outside for making mud pies and grass stew (along with a lot of 4T clothes).

I was very proud of Sora - I offered to buy her another dress up costume and she told me that then we would need a garage sale to get rid of all of our junk and that she had enough. A semi-non-consumer after my own heart! She was very stingy with her $3 and still had over $1 left over for ice cream when we were finished.

We also spent an epic weekend in Green Bay and were very busy with Healthy Kids day, dinner and an evening with friends, and swimming at the Y. There was a Teddy Bear Hunt that we were super excited about, but there was also an epic rainstorm so we opted to make cookies at home instead.

Overall, Sora didn't miss screens too much. She only gets 30 min. per day, so it wasn't much time to fill. I was surprised to find that I didn't miss screens much either. I rarely watch TV, but I do spend too much time online. I had been getting to a point where I felt almost anxious about having to check certain websites and my email multiple times a day incase I missed something. It was nice to realize that there was really nothing to miss and my life was not negatively impacted by not knowing a sale or being involved in some forum discussion. I feel liberated! So, tomorrow, Sora gets to go back to her "normal", but I have some new goals for myself. They are pretty lofty (1-2 hrs of screen time/day, none while Sora is awake), but it was nice this week to spend so much time knitting, learning to play the guitar, and making crafts for our summer vacation. Imagine how much more I can do when I stop caring about what people are saying on Facebook or what characters in "my shows" are up to and start allocating that time instead to other more productive things!

No comments: