Thursday, October 9, 2014

School work

I love Sora's school for so many reasons, but what I love most is simply the Montessori style of teaching and learning. Sora comes home so many days with projects that I can tell she was excited about doing and no unnecessary busy work (contrasting with what I see at work which involves a lot of busy work and a lot of language arts that is way below Sora's current level). I could probably write a whole book on this subject, but instead I will share some of Sora's recent projects (because I don't have the space to keep all of them but I want to remember this year of her schooling).






In addition to maps and diagrams, there is are a lot of art possibilities, which again contrasts greatly from the school I work at. Some of Sora's art projects look like they were more time consuming than others, but she's excited about all of them and I know that she had to set up and put away each project, so she's learning responsibility in addition to the pincher grip and other normal painting type things.


Sora's favorite thing to do at school, of course, is food prep. She gets to do Tang, jam spreading on crackers, and cheese cutting once a day if she chooses (and she always chooses) in addition to morning snack. I'm surprised this kid is even hungry for lunch with all the other stuff she eats at school!

One of the things I love about Montessori is that there isn't homework. With spending 6-7 hrs at school each day, I want Sora to be totally free in her spare time to do fun, imaginative play rather than do more school stuff. One of the neighbors who is in 2nd grade has homework, so sometimes Sora makes up homework to fit in. It's pretty cute. She also loves projects and makes up her own frequently. For example, here is her clock project (her clock is the 21 hour kind).
And here is the politest keep out sign ever. I am hoping that Sora remains as cordial when she hits middle school!  

Do not come in. Thank you. You're the best. Knock and can come in.

No comments: